Monday, August 2, 2010

But first, the garden....

I actually have relevant things to say today, but first, I have to provide an update on my vegetable garden.

Everything is growing! So far, I've harvested many huge cucumbers, a few cherry tomatoes (with about a million to come!), some thai chili peppers, peas, fava beans and one red pepper. And young lettuce.

So far, everything is growing well and I haven't had any huge failures - although I'm not too confident about the corn. I think the corn may not have gotten sufficiently pollinated - next year, I'll pollinate it by hand. But I have nine ears in progress, so maybe I'll get enough for a dinner at least, anyway.

The tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, herbs and cucumbers and eggplant have gone berserk. I think I'm going to end up with about 10 eggplants. That's a lot of eggplant! I think they are getting to the point where I could harvest one, but I'm going to wait and see how large they'll get. the one in the picture is about 6 inches in diameter.

Anyway, although most things aren't yet ready to harvest, I have been able to pretty much stop buying vegetables - I manage to glean a day's worth of delicious organic produce from my (apparently) "very now" urban container garden!

A couple more pictures below. The first cauliflower I've ever grown, and the basil that thinks it's the star of "Little Shop of Horrors". I'm not sure it's physically possible to eat more basil - I cut it down by a third, the next day, it's back

No comments:

Post a Comment